Interface Unit for NEX-FS700 RAW Recording
Expand 4K/2K RAW recording capability on NEX-FS700 and AXS-R5
The HXR-IFR5 interface unit allows the Full-HD Super Slow Motion NEX-FS700 camcorder to capture stunning 4K/2K RAW movie footage with the AXS-R5 RAW recorder.
External RAW recorder for NEX-FS700 via SDI connection
The AXS-R5*, once docked with the HXR-IFR5, becomes an external RAW recorder for the NEX-FS700* - enabling an even wider variety of creative shooting styles. Connection with the NEX-FS700 uses just a single 3G HD-SDI cable and the NEX-FS700 can become a camera head when used separately, or it can be used like a camcorder if the whole assembly is mounted onto a rig. (There is a 1/4 inch screw hole for those kinds of rig solutions.) The HXR-IFR5 uses the power source on the AXS-R5, which can be powered by a BP-FL75 lithium ion battery pack or an external DC 12V power source using the XLR 4 pin power input.
* AXS-R5 requires firmware version 1.20 or later and NEX-FS700 needs firmware version 3.00 (service upgrade of NEX-FS700 may be a paid option).
4K/2K high speed shooting
Other than 4K (4096 x 2160) recording at 24p/25p/30p/50p/60p, 100fps and 120fps recording in 4K resolution is available for approximately 4 seconds. Also, in 2K (2048 x 1080) recording mode, 240fps/200fps/120fps/100fps high speed continuous recording is available for unlimited time. These high speed recording modes are only possible with the combination of NEX-FS700, HXR-IFR5 and AXS-R5.
* Audio is not recorded in high speed RAW recording modes
16 bit linear RAW recording onto the AXS memory card
The combination of the HXR-IFR5 and the AXS-R5 makes possible recording 16 bit linear RAW files onto an AXS memory card, unlocking the full potential of the 4K imager on the NEX-FS700 so the broad latitude and high colour resolution can be captured in RAW format. Using the AXS-CR1 card reader, recorded RAW files can be easily transferred to a PC. Sony’s “RAW Viewer*” software allows viewing, processing and simple colour grading on files. In addition to high quality movies, high resolution 8.4M still pictures can also be captured.
* RAW Viewer Version 1.1 or later is necessary.
AVCHD simultaneous recording on NEX-FS700
4K (4096 x 2160)
Approx. 60 minutes (23.98P) or 24 minutes (59.94P)
2K (2048 x 1080)
Approx. 240 minutes (23.98P) or 96 minutes (59.94P)
(Using AXS-512S24 media)
Even in RAW recording mode*, NEX-FS700 can simultaneously record AVCHD onto the camera’s memory card. Since the recorded AVCHD files will have the same time code as the RAW files, the AVCHD files can be used as proxy files for off-line editing.
* AVCHD cannot be recorded in high speed RAW recording mode.
* Recording duration is slightly different between RAW and AVCHD recording however time code is synchronized.
HD output for monitoring
HDMI/Component/Composite video outputs on the NEX-FS700 and the AUX OUT of the AXS-R5 can be used for monitoring purposes. In order to achieve accurate monitoring of the wide dynamic range of RAW recording, Sony has added S-Log2 settings onto the picture profile of the NEX-FS700 (Ver.3.00).
* The gamma setting cannot be set individually for each video out/LCD panel/AVCHD recording.
* HD output or monitoring on FS700’s LCD are 16:9 mode only.
* AUX OUT of the AXS-R5 is disabled during 2K recording mode. (It is able to output 2K playback
Specifications - HXR-IFR5
|Mass (Body only)
|Mass (including the AXS-R5, the battery pack BP-FL75 and the AXS memory card AXS-512S24)
|Power Requirements (AC adaptor / Battery)
||DC11 V ~ 17 V
|Dimension (W x H x D)
(including protrusions / Body only)
|115 mm x 189 mm x 127.5 mm
|Dimension (W x H x D) (including the projecting parts,
the AXS-R5 and the battery pack BP-FL75)
|119 mm x 189 mm x 207 mm
|Battery operating time (BP-FL75)
Continuous recording time
Continuous playback time
||0 ~ 40°C
||-20 ~ +60°C
A few key things to note:
- Use of the HXRIFR5 with NEXFS700 requires the camera to be upgraded to Ver3.0
- Ver3.0 is a paid upgrade, that must be performed in our head office workshop in Sydney. Cost is NZ$520 + GST. Service notice is attached.
- Purchasers of the HXRIFR5 will receive a voucher in the box, allowing them to receive the upgrade free of charge. This offer is valid only until the end of December, 2013.
- Ver3.0 not only enables the camera’s 4K output, but also adds several new features of benefit when recording onboard – detailed in the attached release notes and HXRIFR5 brochure.